Sunday, February 19, 2012

poo poo on pee pee

Today I left the island of Koh Lanta... for more islands.

Not just any other island, though - we're talking Phi Phi, and in case you're wondering what's so special about "fee fee" or "fi fi," first of all, it is pronounced pee pee.  It was also featured in the movie "The Beach," which propelled it to Hollywood stardom.  Nothing like sharing a little screen time with Leonardo Dicaprio to make you famous.

Ko Phi Phi is actually an archipelago, Phi Phi Don and Phi Phi Ley being the two most famous islands.  It was on Maya Beach on Phi Phi Ley that "The Beach" was filmed.  It has been called the most beautiful island in the world, and it's easy to understand why.  The rock formation are standing, in a C shape that cradles a beach with the finest, whitest sand I have seen and the purest turquoise water to match.  I couldn't help but dig my toes and feet into the sand to feel Maya's embrace; if Maya were quicksand, I wouldn't have minded sinking into her.


There was, however, one serious drawback.  When something is that good and special - Linsanity being the most current and prime example, everyone wants a piece of it.  In this small bay, there were docked no fewer than 20 boats, and you know what came along with these boats.


Our next stop, Phi Phi Don, which, unlike the uninhabited Phi Phi Ley, is full of businesses and people, mostly of the unpleasant type.  Prior to coming here, I was warned that Phi Phi Don is pretty much a party island with tons of tourists and trash everywhere.  I don't know why I ever doubted it:  it's even worse than the picture I was painted.  The area is so small, and too many people wanted to cash in on its popularity that you end up with tiny business fronts, overcrowded spaces, and garbage everywhere.  I will spare you with descriptions of its smell.

What sorts of businesses are on the island, you ask?  Bars, tattoo parlors, restaurants, guesthouses in poor condition, and massage parlors, with a predominance of the former two.  Let's think about this for a second.  You have one of the most beautiful islands in the world, so you decide to come here to party, smoke, and get a tattoo, which you don't remember because you were too drunk and high.  I don't get it.

Sure, the island does still retain majestic views, but only from its highest point after a hearty climb, as the lower half is no longer a beautiful island.  It is a reminder of some of the ugliest qualities of mankind.  You will remember from news resports that Phi Phi Don was devastated by the Indian Ocean tsunami of December 2004.  Having seen the island myself, I would say the tsunami was Mother Nature's way of cleaning up the mess human beings left behind.  Unfortunately, being so "resourceful," we have quickly restored Phi Phi Don to the unattractive, odorous, unhealthy place it once was.  I'm afraid we're giving Mother another good reason to clean up after us.



I was happy to leave Phi Phi Don to return to Koh Lanta, which in comparison is much less developed.  Even though there are also a disproportionately large number of tattoo parlors here for reasons I don't understand, they are spread out enough that I can sort of ignore them.

Peace and quiet - the way Nature intended an island to be.

the four crew members of our boat

something about his face, hair, and beanie begged me to take a photo

No comments:

Post a Comment