Friday, January 20, 2012

the ultimate switch

One of my goals in Taiwan is to search for interesting cafés in which I could write and and be inspired by their décor.

That hasn't happened, partly because of the awful weather and partly because I've been lazy.  Instead, day trips to my cousin Sophia's home has provided me with some much needed modern comfort, as my home in Taipei is over 30 years old and damper than a sauna.

Her home, a top floor condominium with indoor and outdoor space on four levels, has been featured in several magazines and books.  It is reminiscent of freshly remodeled Noe Valley homes in San Francisco that receive multiple over-asking offers within 24 hours after listing.  Lucky for me, I could stay there however long I wish, be inspired by the space and by my own reflection off the refrigerator door, and not have to negotiate with a single Mercedes-driving real estate agent.

Yet, the longer I stay, the grandiose feeling of inspiration is overtaken by jealousy and an elaborate scheme involving two charter planes, a drunken lesbian pilot, and three adorable Pomeranian puppies that will send Sophia and her family of four to my one-bedroom condo in San Francisco while I move in to her three-bedroom beauty in Taipei.

Better get back to my script.

No comments:

Post a Comment